The steps and procedures for obtaining a Confidential, Secret, or Top Secret facility clearance issued by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) can be summarized as follows:
• Agency or company awarding the classified contract sponsors the contractor for a facility security clearance (FCL) in the NISS website.
• Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA) requests information from the contractor, including the company’s form, executives, ownership, and operations.
• Contractor and the government designate specific company employees who must receive personnel security clearances (PCL) as part of the facility clearance (FCL) process.
• Designated employees must complete extensive questionnaires regarding their personal finances, work and education history, criminal record, personal relationships, and other matters via eQIP.
• Contractor / organization completes certain federal forms and agreements for the facility clearance.
• DCSA considers the information regarding the company and specific employees and renders a decision to grant or deny the application for a facility security clearance.
• If the Defense Counterintelligence and Security Agency (DCSA) decides not to grant the facility clearance due to specific issues, in certain instances the company can take action to resolve those issues.
• When and if the company is granted a facility clearance, it must familiarize itself with federal regulations for the protection of classified information, such as the NISPOM. It must institute a security program to comply with these extensive requirements. As a consultancy, Secure Defense Consulting® Inc. can work with you to develop a security program to meet the needs of your contract(s) and your facility.
If you have questions or would like consulting assistance with the facility security clearance steps, procedures, or related issues, please contact us. Only the first discussion is free of charge, so it is generally advisable to first obtain a contract from an entity willing to sponsor your organization for a facility security clearance. Alternatively, if you may contact us if you would like to engage our consulting services before obtaining sponsorship for a facility security clearance.